Sunday, March 05, 2006

Thank you MLC! I.T. in the gaming industry...

As my first post, I would like to thank the Manitoba Lotteries Commission for sponsoring my attendance at the February meeting of CIPS as a student member.

I got the chance to meet three of the guys from the MLC and talk about the state of I.T. in the gaming industry. As a student, I hear lots of theories and discussion about best practices, but these guys gave me some perspective from where the rubber hits the road, so to speak.

One of the most interesting points was a comment from Rick Gilhuly, the CIO of the MLC. He said the state of the art applications in the gaming industry were 4-5 years behind the best tools in the retail industry.

That sounds like an opportunity to me. Anyone out there with a great team of developers and some start-up cash looking for a market to jump on? Some serious, best-of-breed solution rivalling the best of the retail industry might be able to do some serious damage? At the very least, spend a couple of years building the software and developing a customer base so you can be bought out by an established industry leader...

I will be posting a more general discussion of the February meeting in a soon-to-be-posted article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home